- As long as a driver exists, both are able to acquire images from devices such as a scanner or camera.
- Acquire images with a dialog.
- Programmatically set properties of the device and acquire the images programmatically without showing a dialog.
- Not all capabilities are supported by each device, so you can query the device for the ones that it does support.
- In general, when a device supports both TWAIN and WIA, TWAIN is better for scanners and WIA is better for cameras, webcam, etc..
- For devices like cameras, sometimes the driver is actually WIA but you can access it via the “TWAIN compatibility layer”.
- WIA uses a common dialog for all devices while TWAIN uses a dialog created by the device manufacturer. Practically speaking, this almost always means that the TWAIN dialog will provide more options and advanced control over the device.
- TWAIN allows you to use custom capabilities that the device manufacturer has created even though they don’t exist in the TWAIN specifications.
- TWAIN has three transfer modes (Native, Memory, File) and WIA only has two (Memory, File).
- Most TWAIN sources save the settings of the previous scan while WIA does not.
- TWAIN supports options for each page when scanning in duplex mode but WIA uses the same settings for both sides.
- It is assured that our TWAIN products are working well with all TWAIN drivers.
- For WIA drivers, it also works with our TWAIN products in most of time.
- If acquiring images from a webcam is one of your app’s requirements, please check out Dynamic Webcam Add-on. The add-on is based on the DirectShow API and works with all UVC compatible webcams.
- How to check if a capability is supported or not?
For more details on WIA, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stillimage/WIA-arch.mspx.
For more details on TWAIN, please visit http://www.TWAIN.org/.
For more details on TWAIN, WIA, ISIS, SANE difference, please visit http://www.dynamsoft.com/blog/document-imaging/document-scanning-twain-wia-isis-sane/
If you need any assistance or have any problem, please feel free to contact us.