In older versions of Visual SourceSafe (VSS), after adding a solution of Visual Studio to its source control, the binding information was stored directly in the .sln and .proj files. It is difficult for a team to jointly work on a solution when some of the team used VSS while others used SourceAnywhere for VSS.
This problem has been resolved since VSS 6.0c. When a new solution is created and added to source control within Visual Studio using VSS 6.0c (or above), all binding information will be kept locally in files named MSSCCPRJ.SCC on the developer's machine. So that the developers using either VSS or SourceAnywhere for VSS can correctly retrieve the project within Visual Studio by using the "Open from Source Control" menu.
If the solution has been added to source control using an older version of SourceSafe, then the binding information is already in the .sln and .proj files, and will need to be removed before the solution can be shared by both SAW for VSS and VSS developers. To remove the old binding information, please follow these steps:
1. Be sure to check in any changes you have currently made to the solution.
2. Using integrated VSS 6.0c (or above), Check Out the solution (.sln) and project (.proj) files for editing.
3. Under the Source Control menu of Visual Studio, select Change Source Control.
4. In the resulting dialog, select the solution and all projects and then press the Unbind button. This will unbind the solution from source control and remove all binding information from within the .sln and .proj files. Close the dialog.
5. Again, under the Source Control menu of Visual Studio, select Change Source Control.
6. In the resulting dialog, select the solution and all projects and then press the Bind button. This will rebind the solution to source control, but will write all binding information to the external MSSCCPRJ.SCC files instead of within the .sln and .proj files. Close the dialog.
7. Check in the modified .sln and .proj files.
Meanwhile, VSS 6.0d(Build 31222) or 8.0 is recommended to use SourceAnywhere for VSS.